6626 Highway 6,
PART I: HISTORICAL INFORMATION
of Construction: Ca. 1900. The Dew Plantation home was built at the turn
of the century. The History of
Missouri City has noted that Dr. Hugh Saunders Dew built the house “around
1900.” The 1900
2. Architect: Not known.
3. Original and subsequent owners, occupants, uses: The Dew Plantation house has remained in the Dew family for over a century. The plantation was originally purchased by Dr. Hugh Saunders Dew, Henry Wise Dew, and George Lewis Dew from their uncle Hugh Saunders in 1895. The land was previously known as the Belleveredere Plantation until the Dew Brothers renamed it. It was occupied by Dew family until Jessie Dew Agnew passed away. Tenants occupied the house for several years, but it has remained vacant for nearly five years.
4. Builder, contractor, suppliers: None known.
5. Original plans and construction: None.
6. Alterations and additions: The house has received several additions since it
was originally built. In the late 1920s,
the second-floor porch was enclosed, a new roof line was created, and two room
additions were made on the north and south sides of the house, the bar/game
room on the north and the sunroom on the south.
These changes exhibit elements of both the Colonial Revival and Southern Plantation
styles changed aspects of the house, so that the original architecture, fabric,
and feeling was transformed from the original Victorian. They also built a small ranch office off the
back of the house. Perpendicular to this
enclosure, an outdoor, screened-in patio was built. During the early 1960s, a large interior patio addition was built onto the
back of the house and another fireplace and chimney was added.
In or about 1900, Dr. Hugh Saunders Dew built the
house on Hwy 6, possibly using salvaged materials from the house that burnt
down. One year later, the rest of the
family joined them from
1902, Dr. Dew gave up his medical practice in
The Dew Plantation home has stayed in the family for over a century. After Henry, George, and Frank Dew passed away, they left the land and the house to their sisters, Jessie Dew Agnew and Ruth Dew Lalley, and sister-in-law, Mantie Veal Dew. Mantie passed away in 1958. After years of sharing the house and land, Jessie and Ruth decided to split the property between them. Ruth received the land that is now Quail Valley Subdivision, and Jessie received the land on the South side of Hwy 6, where the Dew Plantation house now stands. Having no children of her own, Jessie Dew Agnew passed the house and land on to her niece, Jessie Dew Robinson Moroney. Mrs. Moroney then passed on the land to her daughters, Muffie Moroney and June Moroney.
Other information can be found at the following links;
Frank Dew Alice Dew Lillie Dew Thomas Thristham Dew Hamp Robinson Additional photographs
Architectural character: The original plantation house was a 5-bay, “L”-shape, clapboard and wood frame, 2-story farmhouse. This later regional derivation of the Southern Plantation Style had both Greek Revival and late Victorian detailing. These changes exhibit elements of both the Colonial Revival and Southern Plantation styles changed aspects of the house, so that the original architecture, fabric, and feeling was transformed from the original Victorian
Condition of fabric: The
current condition of the Dew Plantation house is fair to deteriorating. It was been vacant for almost five years.
1. Overall Dimensions: 69’-8” x 48’-5”
Foundations: Brick pier foundation
3. Walls: Stud framing with clapboard siding and 1x9 “shiplap” interior covered now in gypsum sheet rock
4. Structural System: Wood stud framing
5. Porches, stoops, balconies, porticoes, and bulkheads: The front porch was altered from its original form during the late-1920s alterations. The second story balcony located on the front of the house was enclosed and a pediment was added when the roofline was changed. As shown by a historic photograph (early 1900s), three ionic columns supported the original porch and balcony. This Greek revival style was altered to incorporate a more Victorian influence.
Chimneys: The house originally had two chimneys on the north and south sides of the building. When the roof height was remodeled in the 1920s, the height of the chimney was extended as well.
a. Doorways and doors: Originally, the house had a door on the first and second
floors on the front of the house. There
was also a side door entrance on the north side of the house, leading into the
mudroom. There was also a door on the back of the
house leading to the backyard.
8. Roof: The
“L” continued through to the front of the house to form a gable over the 5th
or northern most bay, an unusual configuration of this style and time. It should be considered a later
regional derivation of the
Description of Interior
Floor plans: HABS measured drawings are attached.
Stairways: The house has one stairway located in the front entry hall.
3. Flooring: On the first floor, the flooring in the utility room, Kitchen/ Butler’s Pantry, and Mudroom is sheet vinyl; the Patio room is 12x12 terrazzo tile; the Formal Dining room, Study, Living room, and Entry foyer is 2 3/8” heart pine, the ½ bath is ceramic tile; and the Bar room has a random width wood floor in oak, 1x6 to 1x10 nominal (9” & 5 ½” board width) with doweled nails. On the second floor, the flooring in Bath #1 is a ceramic tile, 1x1 and 2x2 mosaic in a pinwheel pattern; Bath #2 is 4x4 ceramic tile; the Master bath is a 4x4 ceramic checkerboard; the sun porch #2 is 3 ¼” pine; Bedroom #1, Bedroom #4, Master sun room, Master Bedroom, and Bedroom #3 is 2” oak; and Bed #2 is 2 ½” pine.
4. Wall and ceiling finish: On the first floor, the utility room has a 1x6 double V groove center match; ceiling same; Kitchen/Butlers Pantry- Mud room- S wall (orig. ext. wall) lap siding exposed 5/8”x 4 ¼”- 4 ½” to weather; N, W, E walls horizontal various widths of lapped boards; Patio room- walls (7” beaded profile wood paneling) and ceiling (sheetrock); Formal Dining Room, Study, Living room, Entry foyer - sheetrock wall and ceiling; ½ Bath- fabric walls and ceiling, Bar room- random width wood panel walls with beaded profile, 1x6 to 1x10, ceiling 1x6 tongue and groove, double groove. On the second floor, Bed 1, Bed 2, Bed 3, Bed 4, Master sunroom, and Master bedroom all have sheetrock wall and ceiling; the Sun porch #2, N wall (orig. ext. wall) has lap siding 4 ¼” to weather 5/8” siding thickness, cypress, and the W & S walls lap siding 4 ½” to weather ½” thick, and a 1x4 beaded board ceiling; Bath #1- 4x4 ceramic tile wainscot with sheet rock above @ 55” and sheet rock ceiling and a 4x4 ceramic tile shower wall @ 78”; Bath #2, 4x4 ceramic tile wainscot with sheet rock above @ 55” on center and sheet rock ceiling; Master Bath- 4x4 ceramic tile wainscot with sheet rock above @ 55” and sheet rock ceiling.
Doorways and doors: The interior doors are all 4 panel -, rail and style with raised panel construction” with surrounding wood molding. [There were transoms over the doors before remodeling after air conditioning was added] On the first floor, there are bi-fold doors between the normal living room, family room, and the first floor sunroom. A glass door that originally led from the upstairs hallway to the 2nd floor porch is now being used as an entrance door into the master bedroom.
Windows: The original shuttered windows were adorned with Greek revival detailing.
Decorative features and trim: There are still overlapping pieces of trim and detailing from both the original Victorian and the present Colonial Revival features of the house. The interior of the house is adorned with crown moulding throughout the first floor.
Hardware: There are unusual, art deco-style hinges on the doors between the hallway, living room, and dining room on the first floor.
Heating, air conditioning, ventilation: The house has partial central heat and air.
Lighting: The house has electric lighting throughout.
Plumbing: The house has hot and cold running water. All bathrooms appear to have been added in the later 1920s.
Unusual Features: A call bell was installed connecting the formal dining room to the kitchen. The button was located in the floor under where the formal dining room table sat.
Historic Landscape design: Several specimen trees on the site, cottonwood and oak trees date to when the house was built. Originally, (name the source pictures) banana trees flanked both sides of the house.
Behind the Dew House laid
several outhouses. A wood house, that no
longer stands, was the home of workers.
This was later replaced with a brick house, built for
Carter, Robert F. A
Company. “The History of Imperial Sugar
Kennedy, Lois. “
Potter, Charline. Houston and the Surrounding Area- A
Wharton, Clarence. Wharton’s
Supplemental material: family tree?
This report was
Above is a sketch by Elijah Roark
This area was the Belleveredere Plantation and now includes Kitty Hollow Park
The document above dated 1893 includes names of places of that era. Mount Olive Church Cemetery still being monitored today. The Glascock Place may be the widow of John V Morton after she remarried. The Waters places, Duke and Stafford are known. D. J. D. Watts would indicate the Watts Plantation Rd. of today. Belleveredere is probably the correct spelling for the plantation.
The document above says that Daniel J. DeWalt married Miss Lou Cessna, the daughter of Green K. Cessna in 1889. A search of Fort Bend deed records show that in 1875, Green K. Cessna purchased 75 acres at Duke, Texas from the then married daughter of Daniel and Lousianna MORTON Perry. At this time Laura Perry was married to Charles C. Bryant. Laura Perry Bryant was the granddaughter of William and Nancy MORTON, the original 300 family that settled at present day Richmond.
THE FOLLOWING PICTURES ALL INCLUDE THE DEW HOUSE
Go to Home Page