Fort Bend County
Marker is at site, US 59, 30 yds. E of Collins' service station. 
The site on which Kendleton now stands was originally a Mexican land grant to settler Elizabeth Powell, whose house was an early day stage stop.
During the Texas Revolution, in 1836, Santa Anna's Army camped near hear. Later the settlements of Oak Hill and Humbolt existed briefly.
Kendleton began during the Civil War reconstruction when Wm. E. Kendall sold land, for as little as 50 cents an acre, to assist freed Negroes in starting their own farms. The rural village was named in his honor when the railroad came through in 1884. Read more Freedmen's settlements Benjamin Franklin Williams Powell Point San Bernard River Turkey Creek
Howard, Clarence M., 5 Feb 1931
Powell Point School Located at Powell Point School Rd. about 2 mi. north of Kendleton 
William E. Kendall, an Anglo lawyer from Richmond, Texas, subdivided his plantation here into 100-acre farm tracts in 1869. He sold the land exclusively to Freedmen and by the 1880s a distinctly African American community named Kendleton had developed here. In 1890 local A. M. E. churches built three one-room schools to form Common School District No. 4, an all-African American district which included the original land grant of Elizabeth Powell. Tellie B. Mitchell, a Kendleton native and graduate of Wiley College (1903), returned to Kendleton and established Powell Point School in 1904 in a two-room schoolhouse. The school prospered and in 1918 graduated six students, five of whom went on to college and became educators. In 1923 Mitchell persuaded the Rosenwald Foundation to grant funds to build a new Powell Point School facility here with six classrooms, a library, and an auditorium. The school became a model institution and entry into its student body was an advantage sought by African American throughout southeast Texas. T. B. Mitchell served as school principal until 1954. Powell Point, today an elementary school, is a locally revered institution which symbolizes Kendleton's unique cultural heritage and promise for the future. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995
Site of the Home of Elizabeth Powell 
Built before March 21, 1831, when the land was granted to her. This point marks the most eastern advance of Urrea's army and the most southern advance of Santa Anna, who turned east from here to the Brazos and San Jacinto. Here the Mexican Army encamped after the Battle of San Jacinto. Read more
Go to Home Page