The above view is the east side of the 1840's Hartwell Iron Works Steam Engine foundation.
Viewing the south side shows notches where [first notch] the sugar juice was channeled and [second notch] where the crushed cane was channeled.
The steam engine base raises the engine to allow room for the flywheel.
Steam engine base showing flywheel slot and Carriage for boiler.
Top of the steam engine foundation [The cradle was for the steam boiler]
Steam Engine name plate.
Engine was manufactured in Houston, Texas by HARTWELL IRON WORKS.
These crawlways enabled a worker to the keep the bottom end of the bolt from turning while tightening the top nut.
Two views of the same bolt. The left view is inside a crawlway and the right view is on top where the steam engine was bolted down. It took one man in the crawlway to keep the bolt from turning while another man on top tightened the steam engine down.
Entire Steam Engine Foundation
Read about the Osceola Plantation in Brazoria County
Read about the Jackson Plantation in Brazoria County
Read about the Chenango Plantation in Brazoria County
1861 Sugar Mill Steam Engine with it's foundation similar to the one at Arcola Sugar Mills.
Read the complete story about the above engine.
Watch the above engine run
Brick barn next to the steam engine. This barn is made from homemade brick. Click for more photos.
Click for THE HISTORY OF THIS SPECIAL SCANLAN PLANTATION HOUSE
In 1872, T. W. House, a former mayor of
Having no direct heirs, the sisters formed the Scanlan Foundation, a charitable trust benefiting Catholic charities. During the 1950's and 60's, the Catholic Diocese of Houston used the plantation, and the area was known as the Cenacle Retreat. The Cenacle, a religious retreat originally established for women only, operated at Sienna from the early 1950's until 1972. The bell once used on the plantation to call the workers to dinner and to sound fire alarms was used during these years to call sisters to prayer. The Cenacle Chapel was behind the 'mansion'. Also there, was a dormitory where the sisters stayed.
Attached is a photo taken on
Sacred Heart Church, originally in Arcola and now in Manvel, for many years was a mission of St. Theresa Church in Sugar Land.
The number 26832 on JIM ELMER's tombstone is his prisoner number
GALVESTON DAILY NEWS JUNE 27, 1885
J. R. Fenn ran the plantation for T. W. House during the time House owned it. The photo above is prison trustee Merrick Boyce. The Texas Prison System leased their prisoners to the Sugar Land Sugar Company who would sub lease the prisoners to various plantations. The prisoner lease program was a source for labor from 1867 to 1913.
Go to Home Page