Fort Bend County
Marker is located on the west bank of the Brazos River, S bridge on US 90-A 
The site of Fort Bend,
Built in November, 1821, by William Little, William Smithers, Charles Beard, Joseph Polly and Henry Holster, the fort's name was given to the county when the county was created in 1837.
City of Richmond 
Area was settled in 1822 by members of Stephen F. Austin's colony, who first called their community "Fort Settlement." Earliest known burial was made by Wm. Morton, who donated land for Morton Cemetery. Town was formally laid out 1837 by land promoters R. E. Handy and Wm. Lusk, who named it for Richmond, Virginia. City was elected county seat in 1838. Most famous resident was Mrs. Jane Long, "Mother of Texas," who ran Veranda Hotel and established a plantation here in 1837. She is buried in Morton Cemetery. Also in 1837 famous scout Erastus "Deaf" Smith died here and was buried in the city. County purchased first courthouse in 1842; built a brick one in 1849. In 1855 an extension of the Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad (the first railroad in Texas) brought increased prosperity. Vigorous saloon fighter Carry Nation operated the National Hotel here prior to moving to Kansas. Her departure was connected with the "Jaybird-Woodpecker" political feud, which climaxed in a shootout around the Courthouse Square in 1889. Another noted Richmond citizen, John M. Moore, led way in raising quality of range cattle. Service in Legislature, 1896-1905, and U. S. Congress, 1905-1913.
During the Civil War there was a Camp Richmond, Fort Bend County, 2nd Military Sub-District, enrolling officer W. E Herbert of Colorado County.
During the Civil War years, education in Fort Bend went through difficult times. The schools had to be closed and the people were financially pressed during the Reconstruction to get them back up and running again. They could not afford payments for schooling as well as the additional taxation.
During the reconstruction era after the Civil War the courthouse was moved to several locations until a three-story building was purchased from C. H. Kendall for $7,500. In 1866 there was only one white man employed by Fort Bend County. Mr. Huff was the county clerk. Anybody that supported the confederacy was not eligible to work for the county.
During the Civil War Richmond remained fairly isolated from conflict. After it was over and area slaves had received their emancipation, many made Richmond their home.
During the Civil War soldiers homes were established at some 60 different towns and cities throughout Texas. The troopers received meals and lodging for extremely reasonable prices and many homes offered free meals and lodging. Such a place was Bertwick's Hotel in Richmond, Texas.
During the Civil War a private manufacture that contracted with the Confederate States Government was Fort Bend Manufacturing Company. They produced cloth fabric, wood and iron products.
Hannon, Tolbert, 3 Apr 1924
The Morton Family
Morton Cemetery Located in Richmond at the corner of 2nd and Commerce. 
Burial place of illustrious pioneers, including 1838-1841 Republic of Texas President Mirabeau B. Lamar (1798-1859) and one of State's first women settlers, Jane Long (1798-1880), known as "The Mother of Texas." On Labor No. 1 of Mexican land grant to William Morton, 1822 settler in advance party of Austin's "Old 300" colonists; founded 1825 when Morton buried Robert Gelaspie (Gillespie), a brother Mason who had met with foul play. Later he erected a handmade brick tomb, the first known Masonic landmark in Texas. In an 1833 Brazos flood, Morton himself met death and his body was lost. His widow Nancy inherited Labor No. 1 and sold it to Handy & Lusk, promoters of the Richmond townsite. In 1854 the parcel of land encompassing the cemetery was acquired by Michael DeChaumes. In the 1890s Morton Lodge No. 72, A. F. & A. M., gained possession of "DeChaumes Cemetery" and operated it as Richmond Masonic Cemetery until the early 1940s. It was then turned over to the newly-formed Richmond Cemetery Association, which later was retitled Morton Cemetery Association, probably to have its name conform to "Morton Cemetery" -- the name in use ever since the era of Lodge ownership. The cemetery has become a memorial to its founder.
Marker is located in Rosenberg at Lamar Consolidated High School
Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar, President of the Republic of Texas.
Born in 1798, in Georgia, he came to Texas in 1835. He became involved immediately in the movement for independence from Mexico. Upon the fall of the Alamo and news of the Goliad massacre, he joined the Texas Army as a private, as Houston moved eastward toward San Antonio.
In the swiftly moving chain of events, Lamar was made colonel on the eve of the Battle of San Jacinto. There he commanded calvery with distinction and ten days later was named Secretery of War in the interm government. Elected vice-president in the new nation's first government, he was a candidate of the anti-Sam Houston faction for president in the next election. He won, and took office in 1838 for a 3-year term.
During his administration, the Republic of Texas was recognized by Great Britian and France. he was known fir his forceful Indian policy and for his opposition to annexation. He laid the foundation for the first system of public education in Texas. By his decision, Austin was made the capital of Texas.
A poet, and diplomat, he projected the writing of a history of Texas, but died in 1859, before his book was begun. His plantation was near Richmond. He is buried near here in the Morton Cemetery. Read more Photo Lamar-Calder House
Site is .5 mi. off Front St on Ransom Road 
Site of the Home of Miabeau B. Lamar 1798-1859
Father of Texas education, President of the Republic of Texas, 1838-1841. He lived here from 1851 to 1859.
Marker is on US 90-A in roadside park
Dismounted Texas Calvery
The 95,000 men of military age in the Civil War in Texas, unaccustomed to walking, preferred the daring and mobility of the calvery used to the scout the enemy, screen troop movements and make lightning attacks. 58,533 Texans joined in, riding their own horses or ones donated by citizens' groups. Many of the Texas' 325,000 horses were sent to other states.
Yet foot soldiers were needed, too. The state set up camps of instruction, to teach Texans to walk and fight. By mid-1862 the need for infantry was so great that the following units were unhorsed under strong protest: the 6th Texas Cavalry Battalion, 13th, 16th, 18th, 22nd, 24th, 25th, amd 28th Texas Calvery Regiments.
On August 15, 1863, a part of A. W. Terrell's Calvery regiment at Richmond was ordered to dismount and march to the defense of Galveston. On September 11, an order to dismount still more men caused mutiny, and 91 rode their prized horses north to homes on the Indian frontier or to join other calvary units. When 25 were tried later, only the officers were punished. Enlisted men returned to the regement, and fought in such actions as the 1864 Red River Campaign to prevent a Federal invasion of Texas.
Marker is located at Morton Cemetery 
Erastus ["deaf"] Smith [April 17, 1787-November, 30, 1837]
Most famous scout in Texas' War for Independence. Obeyed General Sam Houston's strategic order, then raised San Jacinto battle cry; "Fight for your lives! Vince's Bridge has been cut down."
A native of New York, Smith settled here in 1821 in San Antonio. Trading in land and goods, he traveled Texas providence, making him an invaluable guide for the army during the War for Independence.
He married Guadalupe Ruiz Duran, and they had three daughters.
Dying here in the home of Randall Jones [a friend] he was buried in Calvery Churchyard , Houston at 6th. His grave is now unidentified. Read more Photo
Mrs. Jane Herbert Wilkinson Long
Located just south of the intersection on Ransom in front of county jail 
Site of the home of the pioneer of Anglo-American women in Texas (1789-1880) Wife of Dr. James Long, leader of an expedition in 1819 whose purpose was to free Texas from Spanish rule. Read more KIAN
Marker is in the 200 block of 4th St.
Jane Long Boarding House
Born in Maryland in 1798, Jane H. Wilkinson moved to Mississippi  and became the ward of her famous relative, General James Wilkinson, Field comander of the United States Army. Jane married Dr. James Long in 1815 and later followed him on a filibustering expedition to free Texas from Spain. In 1821, Long led his forces into battle, leaving Jane alone with their daughter Ann and slave girl Kian at point Bolivar, near Galveston. On December 21, 1821, with snow falling, their food supply gone, and Kian ill, Jane gave birth to a daughter, then rose and got food and firewod for her family. Her heroism earned her the name "Mother of Texas." Later she learned of her husbands death in Mexico.
During the period Texas was a colony and a republic, Jane Long operated two well-known boarding houses. She started the first in Brazoria in 1832; her guests included William B. Travis, Sam Houston, and Mirabeau B. Lamar, In 1837, Jane moved to Richmond and on this site opened another boarding house which became a center for social and political activities as well as lodging for prominent Texans and European visitors. Jane ran this hotel until her plantation near town became prosperous in the 1840s. She died in 1880 and is buried in Richmond's Morton Cemetery.
Andrew Jackson Beard
Grave marker is 20 mi. south of Richmond on FM 762, then east on Cummings Rd. (Big Creek Cemetery) 
A veteran of San Jacinto. Born in Arkansas May 29, 1814; died in 1866. His wife Sallie Pentecost Beard, born in June, 1818; died in 1857. Read more
Brown-Beard Cemetery 20 mi. south on FM 762 from Richmond, then east on Cummings Rd. to end
Begun in the Big Creek settlement area as the Pentecost Graveyard. This cemetery dates to at least 1841 with the burial of George s. Pentecost, an "Old 300" colonist. Also buried here are six of his children and their spouses, including son-in-law Samuel Pharr, an "Old 300" colonist on whose 1831 land grant the cemetery is located. Texas Revolution veterans George W. Pentecost and Andrew J. Beard, another son-in-law, and several Confederate veterans are buried here. Descendants of Beard married into the A. J. Brown family, thus giving the cemetery its present name.
Constantine W. Buckley Marker located on the corner of Jackson and 4th St., Richmond 
Texas Confederate Legislator (1815 - 1865) Came to Texas from Georgia, 1838. Clerk, Republic of Texas State Department. Prominent Fort Bend County planter, lawyer, district judge and legislator. Served as one of the speakers of Texas House of Representatives in critical Civil War years, 1861-65. Legislators passed laws to raise, equip and supply 90,000 Texas soldiers who fought on all fronts and provided for defense of State's 2,000-mile frontier and coast against Indians, enemy troops and ships. As naval blockade reduced imports, the Legislature established plants to make guns, powder, cloth, salt. Contracts, subsidies and land grants were provided to encourage private industry to help meet heavy wartime demands for arms, supplies, clothing, food. Buckley and the other lawmakers taxed property and business and required farmers to turn in tithes of produce to meet the crisis. Funds were voted to buy cotton for State exchange for goods in Mexico; to aid soldiers' dependents; and to provide hospitals and medical care for troops--in and out of state. The Legislature was in almost continuous session. Poor pay and inflated Confederate money caused many members to live in tents and covered wagons on the capital grounds, and cook over campfires. Read more
Walter Moses Burton (marker is in SW corner of the Morton Cemetery)
(August 9, 1840 - June 4, 1913) Born a slave in North Carolina, Walter Moses Burton was brought to Texas about 1860. At the end of the Civil War, he purchased land from his former owner, Thomas B. Burton, from whom he had also learned to read and write. Walter Burton became a successful farmer and in 1869 was elected sheriff of Fort Bend County. He was elected to the Texas Senate in 1873 and served four terms, representing Fort Bend, Wharton, Waller, and Austin counties. Retiring from the Senate in 1882, he returned to farming and remained active in local politics until his death. Read more
Calvary Episcopal Church Located on FM 762 
This congregation grew out of Episcopal missionary efforts that began soon after Texas gained its independence from Mexico. In 1859, through the effort of Judge W. E. Kendall, the first church building was erected, and the church became a parish. Early clergy included the Rev. Hannibal Pratt and the Rev. William t. Dalzell. Members have included statesman Mirabeau B. Lamar and many descendants of early Texas colonists. The congregation's rich heritage provides a significant link to the early history of the Episcopal church in Texas.
Early Courthouse Square 402 Morton St. 
This square was deeded in 1838 to Fort Bend County by Robert E. Handy and William Lusk, founders of Richmond. It was site of 1850-1871 and 1888-1909 courthouses. Completed here 1888 was a two-story brick Victorian courthouse with bell tower and clock -- the pride of city and county. Jaybird-Woodpecker political feud culminated here in a bloody shoot-out in 1889, ending a post-Civil War era of conflict. County offices moved in 1909 to new courthouse on Jackson Street. This became center of recreation for next 30 years. City Hall was built here in 1940.
The Darst-Yoder House
Located in Richmond on the corner of 9th and Jackson St. ]1976]
This 14-room classical revival structure of cypress and pine has 11-foot ceilings, four fireplaces; built in 1908 by R. H. Darst (1859-1938), grandson of an 1829 Texas pioneer, direct descendant of Daniel Boone. Here Darst and his wife Pearle (Ransom) reared three sons, kept open house, lived to old age -- Mrs. Darst surviving to 94. Virtually unchanged in 68 years, reflecting stability of city and family, the house has been owned since 1971 by Mr. and Mrs. Nelson Yoder.
The John H. Pickens Davis House
Located on FM 762 east of Richmond in George Ranch Historical Park 
Built by son of Kinchen Davis, who escaped death by drawing a white bean in famous ordeal of Texans in 1842 Mexican conflict. As a "Jaybird" leader, builder J. H. Davis (1851-1927), prevented lynchings in Jaybird-Woodpecker War of the 1880s. He was owner of much land and livestock. This house, built about 1880, is of cypress and white pine, with many fine details unusual in its era. It was given in 1947 to Polly Ryon Memorial Hospital, named for Davis' mother-in-law.
Fort Bend County Courthouse
Located in Richmond between 4th & 5th Sts. 
This classical revival building is the fifth courthouse for Fort Bend County, which was organized in 1837. The structure was designed by C. H. Page of Austin and dedicated in 1909. The contractor was the Texas Building Company, also of Austin. Exterior styling features a dome, statue, and cornices of copper. The interior has a 3-story rotunda, mosaic tile floors, and green glazed tile wainscoting. Additions were made to the courthouse in 1935 and 1957. Photo
Fort Bend County Jail 
Completed in 1897, this structure was the third jail building in Fort Bend County. Built to communicate strength and justice to the area's lawless elements, the imposing Romanesque revival style structure features terra cotta decoration and massive arches. The interior included living quarters for the sheriff and a third floor gallows. It served as the Fort Bend County Jail until 1955. Photo
Wyly Martin Located just west of Front St. in Dyer Cemetery 
Scout under Gen. Wm. Henry Harrison, 1813; served under Gen. Andrew Jackson, War of 1812; alcalde, San Felipe de Austin; delegate to the conventions of texas, 1832-33; member of the Consultation, 1835; captain of a company in the Army of Texas, March 7 to May 15, 1836; chief justice of Fort Bend County, 1838-41; born in Georgia, 1776; died April 2, 1842.
Read more Wylie Martin Kuykendall
The McFarlane House Located on the corner of 5th and Jackson 
A native of Scotland, Isaac McFarlane (1840-1900) served with Terry's Texas Rangers during the Civil War and later became a successful merchant in Richmond. This home was constructed for his family in the early 1880s by local builder Thomas Culshaw. Prominent features include the Italianate hood molds over the windows and doors and the cut metal cresting on the roof ridge. Ownership of the house remained with the McFarlane family until 1979.
McNabb House Located in Richmond on 6th at Preston 
Phillip Vogel, a German merchant, built this residence in the 1850s. It reflects the simple Greek revival style popular at the time. A. D. McNabb, owner of a saddlery shop, bought the property in 1887. He married Charlien Gloyd, daughter of temperance crusader Carry Nation, who operated a boarding house in Richmond in the 1880s. The McNabb family owned the house until 1972, when it was moved from its original location at 202 Jackson St.
John McNabb Marker is in north part of Morton cemetery 
Member of the Santa Fe Expedition, 1841. Born in Scotland; died, April 27, 1894.
Moore Home Located in Richmond at the corner of 5th and Houston St. 
Occupied by three generations of the Moore family, this house was built in 1883 by John M. Moore (1862-1940) for his bride Lottie (Dyer). A prosperous rancher, Moore served in the State Legislature and from 1905 to 1913 in the U. S. Congress. He remodeled this structure in 1905 from its original Victorian design to a neo-classical style popular in the early 20th century. Richmond's First Baptist Church was founded in this house and noted politicians and cattlemen often visited here. Photo
Morton Lodge No. 72, A. F. & A. M.
Located in Richmond at 211 Morton St. 
Organized in 1850, the Morton Masonic Lodge was chartered on January 24, 1851. Named for "Old 300" colonist and Mason William Morton, the Lodge began with twenty charter members. The first lodge hall, located on Jackson street, was replaced in 1855 by a larger building on the corner of 3rd and Morton streets. The three-story brick structure also housed the county courthouse, and was destroyed by fire in 1887. A third facility, built at this site, was replaced by this building in 1913. Over the years the Lodge has sponsored many charitable activities.
Morton-McCloy House Located in Richmond at 402 N. Second St. 
"Old 300" settlers William Morton and his family operated Morton's Ferry here in the 1820s. Hand-hewn braced-frame construction suggests that at its core this house was built by the Mortons in the mid-1830s. Altered to its present appearance between 1873-1904 during the ownership of the Dr. John McCloy family, the L-plan house features a 3-bay front porch, single door entry with transom, and gable roof. Later owners included the families of Edgar Andrus and A. W. Whatley.
Oak Hill Baptist Church Located approx 8 mi N of Richmond at 21518 Morton Rd 
In 1915, eighteen African American residents met under the leadership of the Rev. A.C. Ray to organize Oak Hill Baptist Church. Former members of Richmond's Pleasant Green Baptist Church, they constructed a brush arbor on the oaken hill at this site and began a congregation of their own. Early services were held in Alex Jackson's home until members purchased the site in 1916 from Sam and Lizzie Jackson and built a sanctuary. Over the years, members have been active in various church programs and in the community, with groups including youth, music, mission and service outreach. Today, Oak Hill Baptist Church continues to play a central role in the lives of its members and area residents.
Oak Hill Cemetery N of Richmond's center, off of Grand Parkway at 21410 Morton Rd 
Oak Hill Cemetery Established 1918 Historic Texas Cemetery.
The Peareson-Winston House Located in Richmond at 404 S. 9th St. 
Col. P. E. Peareson, a Civil War veteran and lawyer whose firm practiced in Richmond almost a century, moved this house to this site in 1869. The builder is not identified, and there have been Victorian additions, but the house retains great dignity. Peareson relatives lived here until 1931. Thomas Blakely Winston, a great-great grandson of Jane Long, the "Mother of Texas," lived here 1931-1961. The house sits on the land grant given to Mrs. Long in 1827.
Thomas Jefferson Smith Located at the Morton Cemetery 
Born in Virginia 1808, reared in Georgia. Fought in Texas War for Independence, 1836, under James W. Fannin at Refugio Mission. Captured at Goliad, was spared to repair guns for Mexican Army. Escaped during Battle of San Jacinto. Settled in Richmond after the war; owned blacksmith shop, hotel, livery stable. Sheriff of Fort Bend County 1853-1857. Married twice and father of eight; he died Feb. 16, 1890. Read more
St. John's United Methodist Church In Richmond at the corner of Jackson & 4th 
While Methodist missionaries had served the Richmond area as early as 1824, this congregation was organized January 22, 1839, by the Rev. Jesse Hord. Early members included some of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300" colonists. The congregation built this red brick sanctuary in 1922. Designed by C. N. Nelson of Houston, the Gothic revival building features white terra cotta trim and modified Tudor Gothic arches.
Site of the Home of Randal Jones
Located on the West bank of Brazos River 
(1786-1873) A member of Long's expedition in 1819. Captain of militia under Austin in 1824. Member of the General Consultation, 1835. On this land granted him in 1824 he built the house in which "Deaf" Smith died, November 30, 1837)
Read more Johnson Calhoun Hunter
or Home page